| | Man, I love this movie, I love it very much. I had confused it in my head with Goodfellas, which is a decent film, but not the same. I could go on and on about the various parts of the film I enjoy (the cinematography, the unusual but effective use of voiceover. Two characters narrate the film... except for one scene! I have no idea why there is a third guy for one scene, but it works), but what struck me this time is how much I enjoy Nicky Santoto (Pesci). Pesci is 5'4'', and he plays the muscle (in contrast to De Niro's brains and empathy), and he manages to exude a weird (emphasis on weird) sexual magnetism. There, just by typing that I feel dirty and confused. Oh, and the scene in the cornfield (if you haven't seen the movie and are having trouble following my abrupt segue, it's a violent scene, not a sexy one), that was awesome. I went back and freeze-framed it. It's easy to sympathize with Ace, Ace is likeable (just a crooked man who wants to run his business) you can easily identify with him (aren't we all crooked people wanting to run our respective lives? What? You don't think you're crooked?). But I root for Nicky, poor Nicky who didn't want to go legit he wanted more than that, he wanted to rule. Of course he's doomed to failure, he's an animal, but he almost did it, and that's something.
Okay I'm done, that was three hours well spent. I'm off to bed
posted by Amber at 2:00 AM
|