The Pooh Experience
| | So, I rolled out of bed this morning and dragged my ass to work thinking today would be nothing special.
Boy was I wrong.
A few weeks ago the PR guy for Barnes and Noble asked me (being as I have the most character experience) if I'd do an event at a school... then never said anything else about it.
Apparently he talked to EVERYONE ELSE except me. And at eight thirty said, okay get ready we're leaving for the school in ten minutes.
I was Winnie-the(r)-Pooh today for three hours. I don't know how much you know about costume character suits, but on the whole they are hot and unweildly... this one was probably the worst I've ever been in. Pooh is a furred creature, so it has 70s style tan shag carpet feel AND it comes with it's very own fat suit for the inside (no droopy Winnies for the Tiny Tots). Add to this a head with tiny eyeholes and big ol' honkin' shoes and carpet-style mittens (in case you were curious it's the Disney Pooh).
I was so damn cute.
I was also so damn hot. Apparently I was so hot that the friendly guide holding my hand could -feel- the humidity coming off of me. What I'm saying is that I was manufacturing my own damn weather. We went to at least six classrooms where I did a standard meet and greet. I was in thirty squillion pictures (here's something funny, I smiled for every single photo from inside Pooh's head. I couldn't stop myself!). I shook more hands, slapped more five (two in my case, I had mitten style hands), and gave more hugs in three hours than I have in the last six months... -easy-. I really felt like a celebrity, a celebrity mime (oxymoron perhaps?). I got down the thumbs up, the bow, the salute, and the full body nod and shake (Pooh lacks a neck... I almost lost his head in one room by trying to nod emphatically. I couldn't decide if it were better to allow myself to be unmasked... or attempt to hide my actual head inside the voluminous suit in that instance). I got mobbed on the kindergarten playground (it almost got ugly, there was some pinching and attempts to pull on me), but overall the reaction was really positive.
When I got back at twelve thirty, I was allowed to combine my lunch with my breaks so that I could take an -hour- lunch. I got a sandwich, it was good. Now my brain is really shot (it's very hard to concentrate on anything, I've felt light headed for hours).
I am going to go take a cool bath (what the fuck weather, it's mid march and 90 degrees outside... this is not a good thing) and then -nap-.
posted by Amber at 4:29 PM
|
0 comments
0 Comments:
| |