| | Alright, so I think I've discovered the way to happiness in my family... EXPECT NOTHING. I was -quite- sure that yesterday was going to suck, but it did not, the only thing that would have made it better would have been Frank. Roxanne didn't bring a date, or say much of anything. My cousins Austin and Aaron showed up! Aaron is almost taller than Austin, and he finally looks his age (13). Austin... looks good. Like if we weren't related and I was into slightly scuzzy eighteen year olds, I would be into him. Every time I see him, its something different, the full head of hair is more socially nice look than the mohawk, and the black sports jacket, is just awesome. Okay slightly scuzzzy 18 year old indie punk rocker. AND this time, he wasn't a total ass to me, in fact, he's grown up a lot. He still drinks (too much) and takes -waaay- too many pills, but at least he's past the enamoured with being wasted stage. He's also still a dumb shit and a slacker, but hey much better. My cousin Aaron is, now, as a teenager, going through that impossible phase which is uncute in anyone. He's still a good guy, definently on the straight and narrow path, probably going to make something of himself... once he stops the boasting, outright lying, and general air of arrogance. But hey, that's 13. He wants to go into politics and make a lot of money, I told him that was great, I was just hoping to be happy and not starve in the process, he told me, 'well I hold myself to a higher standard.' But, being as I didn't smash Austin's head through the wall when he pulled this shit, or Roxanne's, I didn't smash his either. It's so weird being able to drink at a family event, I don't really know how to do it. They made these weird vodka pomagranete and lime juice mixture. It tasted better with gin. Either way, I felt decidedly weird being able to just -walk- up to the bar thingy and pour myself a drink. Where was the sneaking? And why, if I'm allowed to do this, did my father stare me down? So instead I filtched beers for myself and Austin and we drank them out in the dark in the rain (felt much better). Oh! We played Clue, and my Uncle Jerry won twice, once because he was a good guesser (my mom and I bullied him into guessing because we knew who it was), the second time because we all sucked and guessed wrong. We also played Yatzee. And we saw Young Frankenstein. And we all ate faaar too much. So in the last two days combined I've had about 8 hours of sleep and spent 12 hours on the road, and today I work at five. My plan is to take a quick little nap and then head off to work at four thirty (work from five to midnight... yay!)
PS I got the most awesome coat from my Uncle Danny (who showed up before everyone left clothes and then left) It has -tails- (like an old style formal jacket, actually it -is- an old formal jacket)... I could wear this to white tie! Anyway, it was just the most awesome thing, and I got it because I fit into it. Austin got a cool leather jacket, Aaron some glow in the glasses (perfect for the dance floor) and Shakespeare. I can't wait for the opportunity to wear my coat.
PPS I miss Frank, I wish he could have come and had fun with my family
posted by Amber at 1:42 PM
|